The Treasures of Nemi: Finds From The Sanctuary Of Diana
Saturday 20 July – Sunday 29 September 2013 Daily 10am – 5pm
The Sanctuary of Diana is beautifully situated within a sacred grove on the edge of Lake Nemi, some 16 miles South East of Rome in the volcanic Alban Hills. Noted as a place of worship dedicated to the huntress Diana from the mid sixth century BC, it developed into a healing temple frequented by Roman emperors, those seeking healing for ailments and women wanting children or a safe delivery. In later centuries, the site inspired artists, poets and writers and was the starting point for Sir James Frazer’s book on pagan religion ‘The Golden Bough’ (1890).
The archaeological objects in this exhibition all came from the 1885 excavations of Lord Savile, the British Ambassador, donated to Nottingham Castle the following year. Although the site has been excavated on a number of occasions since, Savile’s collection remains the most comprehensive in the public domain. This exhibition was the largest ever staged by the museum service, with many objects being publically displayed for the first time.
Location: Nottingham Castle, Off Friar Lane, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG1 6EL
Tel: +44(0)115 8761400 > Website